Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Universal Humour

co⋅in⋅ci⋅dence –noun
[koh-in-si-duhns]
1. a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance

“A coincidence is a small miracle in which God chooses to remain anonymous.”

Almost everyone has experienced that period of time after a serious relationship where they have been ‘intimate’ with their ex-partner. The time limit for post break-up tumbles can last from a number of hours to a number of months. I’m sure many people have their limits when it comes to the length of time, for myself I’ve run the gambit from just a few short minutes to over a year and a half, and everything in-between.

It may be easier when it happens to a friend, but have you ever noticed how sometimes the rebound, or the next relationship, resembles the previous one? I’m sure it is completely a psychological thing, especially for the loser of the break-up, but it is something you can never really see happening to yourself. Love is blind after all, even if said love is just of the rebound one-night tumble variety.

Coincidence, providence, fate, karma, whatever it is that is powering the universal gears I am sure it has a sense of humour. Each and every time I have gone through the pain of a break-up, sometimes as the victor, many more times as the loser, there has always been a comical situation involved with my triumphant return to the dating world.

One of my past relationships didn’t end so well, actually none of them really do, but this one in particular was not a very good ending. There are two main ways that one reacts to a break-up:

1) Sitting home feeling sorry for themselves
2) Falling into self-destructo mode

Number one is self explanatory, but number two may need some explanation. Self-destructo mode can be easily recognized in a newly single friend by the excessive drinking, smoking and partying that they participate in. It may even result in numerous rebound one-night tumbles. If you are the one that is newly single ask yourself the following questions:

- Do you wake up on a Wednesday morning still buzzing from the night before?
- Does you mouth taste like you swallowed an ashtray?
- Do you have to search for the wallet/purse of the unknown person that is sleeping in your bed just to find out their name?

If you answered Yes to at least one of these questions you may be suffering from a case of self-destructo mode.

Anyway, I digress, back to me. The universe is a funny place and I was suffering from a raging case of self-desructo mode. The humorous moment that comes to mind was at an annual party where I met someone, well I very briefly met them anyway, and somehow ended up alone with them at the end of the night. This was to be my first physical experience with someone since the break-up, and as it turned out it was a mutual occurrence. We shared more in common then just crawling out of the dark pit of a recent break-up; turns out our ex-partners had the same names as we did. Here I was trying to forget about _______ through excessive drinking and partying and then I end up meeting someone with the exact same name, who coincidently enough broke-up with someone that had the exact same name as me…

The universe is a funny place I tell you.




Grab The Bookmarketer For Your Site

No comments: