Friday, January 8, 2010

Build Your Own Nation

mi⋅cro⋅na⋅tion –noun
[mahy-kroh-ney-shuhn]
1. a small, self-proclaimed entity that claims to be an independent sovereign state but is not acknowledged as such by any recognised sovereign state, or by any supranational organisation

I'm a bit of a loser when it comes to a certain video game called Civilization, I can play the game for hours at a time and tune out the rest of the world. It’s a great distraction.

I first discovered the game from reading the exploits of Cameron Colley, the main protagonist in Iain Banks’s novel Complicity.

Basically the game’s objective is to "...build an empire to stand the test of time". While playing it I always thought 'Hey, wouldn't it be great to do this for real?' Well it looks like now I can with the Futurist’s piece on the “DIY Nation”: How to Start Your Own Country.

I will leave you with a list of micronations from Wikipedia.




Grab The Bookmarketer For Your Site

No comments: